How to claim your VAT RefundIdentify yourself as a tourist to shop assistants, request an original Tax Invoice or a VAT 263 certificate for the goods you have purchased.
InspectionBe sure to have your purchase readily available for inspection on your departure from South Africa. Remember: No Inspection - No Refund!
- A minimum of R250.00 must be spent by the tourist in order to claim the VAT Refund.
- Maximum payment by cheque of R3000.00. Claims exceeding this will be posted once approved by Inland Revenue.
- Goods consumed and services rendered in South Africa do not qualify for VAT refunds.
- Claim must be made within 90 days of the date of issue of the Tax Invoice or VAT 263 certificate.
- Special rules apply to used items such as antiques.
Three Easy Steps
- Request a tax invoice from the store where you make your purchase.
- On departure from South Africa, present your goods and tax invoice for inspection at the VAT Refund Desk.
- Collect your VAT refund cheque.