NEWS

SPORT

WEATHER

OUR MISSION

Click on a historic building of your choice for more info. Alternatively, scroll down for info on all the featured buildings.
Click on "top" to return to this part of the page

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

 
SASOL ART MUSEUM (1907) ERFURT HOUSE (1876)
SYNAGOGUE (1923) OBLIQUE HOUSE (SKUINSHUIS)
NEETHLINGSHOF (1908) DE WIT HOUSE (Early 19th century)
THE TOWN HALL (1941)
 

SASOL ART MUSEUM (EBEN DöNGES CENTRE) (1907)

Ryneveld Street

Built in the Dutch neo-Renaissance style as the Bloemhof Girls’ School, just as the Boys’ High School in Victoria Street opposite the new Conservatoire. It now houses the university’s art collection.
 

ERFURT HOUSE (1876)

37 Ryneveld Street

Jan Beyers of the farm Nooitgedacht near Stellenbosch, built this as a retirement house in the late Victorian style. It subsequently served as a girls’ hostel. It was carefully restored in 1991 as the administrative headquarters and reference library of the widely scattered Stellenbosch Museum. The name commemorates the birthplace of the German ancestor of the Beyers family.

top

SYNAGOGUE (1923)

Ryneveld Street

Built by the then sizeable local Jewish community.
 

OBLIQUE HOUSE (SKUINSHUIS)

44 Ryneveld Street

This unique Victorian facade incorporates the end gables of an eighteenth century H-plan thatched house. Its oblique position betrays an intermittent stream on the southern side and an old farm road on its western side.
 

NEETHLINGSHOF (NOW "NEETHLINGHUIS") (1908)

31 Ryneveld Street

Built by Jan Beyers as a boarding house for girls attending Bloemhof. It now houses municipal offices.
 

DE WIT HOUSE (Early 19th century)

Plein Street

The only intact example of an imposing set of live adjoining neo-classical buildings, four of which were double storeys. On the adjoining modem archway is featured the municipal coat of arms, while the latter in turn abuts on a marble frieze, adjacent to the entrance to the Public Library, commemorating the arrival of the Huguenots in 1688. These tableaux depict their Departure, the Sea Crossing and the Settlement, and were designed and sculpted in 1942 by Ivan Mitford-Barberton (1896 - 1976).

top

THE TOWN HALL (1941)

Plein Street

This series of buildings, consisting of a main hall, banquet hall, municipal offices and public library, was designed in a neo-Cape Dutch style, embellished by elements of the Classical Revival style for greater dignity. On the opposite side of Plein Street can be seen a reconstructed archway reminiscent of Stellenbosch gables of the late eighteenth century. A simple example from this period is to be seen at the Rhenish parsonage.
HOME

TOURISTS

SUB-WEBS