NEWS

SPORT

WEATHER

OUR MISSION

Click on a historic building of your choice for more info. Alternatively, scroll down for info on all the featured buildings.
Click on "top" to return to this part of the page

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

 
158 DORP STREET DIACONIES REMISE
FIRST LUTHERAN CHURCH (1854) 127,129,133,135 DORP STREET
JUBILEE HOUSE STELLENBOSCH GYMNASIUM BUILDING (1866)
103 DORP STREET 100-116 DORP STREET
LA GRATITUDE (1798)
 

158 DORP STREET

158 Dorp Street

An unadorned Victorian doublestorey of which it is said that one window was adapted to facilitate the movement of coffins into and from the former funeral parlour inside. The problem of a house situated on the comer of a street was partially resolved by installing a front door to both façades, although the straight parapet and moulding have been omitted on the Andringa Street front.

DIACONIES REMISE

156 Dorp Street

This early nineteenth century thatched dwelling was modernised after a century with an Edwardian gable and plaster ornamentation once painted brick red. The room over the coach entrance is also found at d'Ouwe Werf and Saxenhof.
 

FIRST LUTHERAN CHURCH (1854)(U.S. ART GALLERY)

c/o Dorp and Bird Streets

Designed and built by the German settler Carl Otto Hager as a contribution to the small local Lutheran congregation. Hager later became the chief exponent of the neo-gothic style for some two dozen Dutch Reformed churches, inter alia Stellenbosch, Caledon (demolished) and Piketberg.
 

127,129,133,135 DORP STREET

127-135 Dorp Street

This series of double-storeys were erected with the aid of state subsidies after the great fires of 1803, in order to encourage homeowners to build flat roofed dwellings, rather than the fire prone thatched houses. The best example of this group, two of which were demolished to make way for a road, is Transvalia (127 Dorp Street) with its plaster architrave surrounding a fanlight and vertically divided three paneled door.

top

JUBILEE HOUSE

126 Dorp Street

This late nineteenth double-storey pitched roof is similar to Bergh-huis and the earlier and more attractive Erfurt House. It accommodates the head office of the Cape Women’s Agricultural Association, and also the only exclusively textile museum in the country.
Open: Mondays to Fridays: 09:00 - 12:00. Entrance fee R5
 

STELLENBOSCH GYMNASIUM BUILDING (1866)

122/120 Dorp Street

The first building specially erected for this educational institution, it had to be vacated after eight years 
because of the loud traffic noise. The Gymnasium was subsequently relocated to the annexe of the Blettermanhuis.
 

100-116 DORP STREET

100-116 Dorp Street

This is the finest row of double-storey nineteenth century flat roofs in Stellenbosch. (Voorgelegen ca. 1798) and 102 (ca. 1817) used to be gabled houses, as could be deduced from the half-width windows on either side of the front door, that permitted light into the broad entrance hall. The front doors of the other houses merely provided an entrance to the passage leading to the broad rear portion of each house.

top

103 DORP STREET

103 Dorp Street

Diagonally across the street, 103 Dorp Street is situated near the erstwhile threshing-floor of the pioneer farm Voorgelegen, depicted on the panorama above. The building material of this house dates back to ca.1794. The roof of this T-shaped thatch dwelling was later replaced with corrugated iron. The verandah was added in 1929. The original yellow wood ceilings of ca. 1794 are still beautifully intact. Until recently, this building housed a surgery.
 

LA GRATITUDE (1798)

95 Dorp Street

The Rev. Meent Borcherds had this H-plan house built among his vineyards shortly before the dilapidated rectory, where he lived before was destroyed by the fire of 1803. La Gratitude was also burned down during the twentieth century, when only the fanlight remained intact. Since its renovation an extra room was added on either side in front. Old photographs indicate that the woodwork appeared to be different from the present and was in fact painted, while the gabled pilasters were also crowned with urns.
 
HOME

TOURISTS

SUB-WEBS